The following misstatements are sometimes found in the sales and collection cycle’s account balances:
1. The accounts receivable trial balance total does not equal the amount in the general ledger.
2. Several accounts receivable in the accounts receivable master file are not included in the aged trial balance.
3. One account receivable in the accounts receivable master file is included on the aged trial balance twice.
4. A shipment made in the subsequent period is recorded as a current period sale.
5. The allowance for uncollectible accounts is inadequate because of the client’s failure to reflect depressed economic conditions in the allowance.
6. Several accounts receivable are in dispute as a result of claims of defective merchandise.
7. The pledging of accounts receivable to the bank for a loan is not disclosed in the financial statements.
8. Goods shipped and included in the current period sales were returned in the subsequent period.
9. Long-term interest-bearing notes receivable from affiliated companies are included in accounts receivable.
a. For each misstatement, identify the balance-related audit objective to which it pertains.
b. For each misstatement, list an internal control that should prevent it.
c. For each misstatement, list one test of details of balances audit procedure that the auditor can use to detect it.
a. In each of the following independent problems, design an unbiased random sampling plan, using an electronic spreadsheet or a random number generator program. The plan should include defining the sampling unit and establishing a numbering system for the population. After the plan has been designed, select the sample using the computer. Assume that the sample size is 75 for each of (1) through (4).
(1) Prenumbered sales invoices in a sales journal where the lowest invoice number is 1 and the highest is 8274.
(2) Prenumbered bills of lading where the lowest document number is 18221 and the highest is 29427.
(3) Accounts receivable on 20 pages with 50 lines per page except the last page, which has only 29 full lines. Each line has a customer name and an amount receivable.
(4) Prenumbered invoices in a sales journal where each month starts over with number 1. (Invoices for each month are designated by the month and document number.) There is a maximum of 25 pages per month with a total of 215 pages for the year. All pages have 100 invoices except for the last page for each month.
b. Using systematic sampling, select the first five sample items for populations (1) through (3) from part a, using the random starting points shown. Recall that the sample size is 75 in each case.
(1) Invoice #39
(2) Bill of lading #18259
(3) Page 1, line #11
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more