Please answer the following multiple choice question. Note that there might be more than one answer correct.
1. Living organisms share a number of characteristics. These unifying characteristics separate them from non-living things. For each of the following statements, check the statements that correctly distinguish living things from non-living things?
1. All living organisms are made up of one or more cells.
2. Only living organisms are complex.
3. All living organisms reproduce by passing on specific genetic information to future generations.
4. Only living organisms are capable of movement.
5. Only living organisms (populations) are capable of evolving.
6. Only living organisms require an input of energy to drive cellular activities.
7. Only living organisms produce heat as a byproduct of chemical reactions.
8. All living organisms are dependent on a constant supply of oxygen for survival.
9. Only living organisms respond to external stimuli.
10. All living organisms grow by increasing cell size and/or cell number.
2. The formulation of a hypothesis is based on observations and refined by available information from past observations or research. Place the following statements in the appropriate sequence showing the progression from an observation to a testable hypothesis.
1. You notice that the bread you left on the counter has more mold on it than do the rolls that you put in the refrigerator.You notice that the bread you left on the counter has more mold on it than do the rolls that you put in the refrigerator.
2. Does temperature affect the growth of mold or is the difference in mold growth related to differences between the bread and the rolls?Does temperature affect the growth of mold or is the difference in mold growth related to differences between the bread and the rolls?
3. Bread placed in warmer temperatures should develop mold faster and more extensively than bread placed in colder temperatures.
4. Colder temperatures impede the growth of mold.
3. Drag the part of the scientific method on the left to the example on the right it best matches. Then, drag the sentences into the sequence they would most likely happen following a simplified scientific method.
1. John runs some statistics on his distances to see if he can find any significance in his study. Part: ____________
2. On a walk around a pond John sees that small frogs on the shore only allow him to get within 5 feet before jumping into the water. Part: ____________
3. John uses mechanical “predators” to approach frogs at a pond shore, and he records the distance between predator and frog as the frogs jump. Part:
4. John writes up and sends out his experimental results for other scientists to critique. Part: ____________
5. John thinks that frogs vary the proximity to which they allow predators to approach based on the size of the predator. Part: ____________
4. The four major groups of organic compounds are:
1. carbohydrates, lipids, steroids, and monosaccharides.
2. carbohydrates, proteins, amino acids, and nucleic acids.
3. fats, waxes, carbohydrates, and amino acids.
4. lipids, fats, waxes, and steroids.
5. carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids.
5. Complete the following paragraph to describe the semiconservative replication of DNA.
1. DNA replication is achieved by a process called ____________ replication.
2. After the DNA double helix unwinds, each old strand serves as a ____________ for the formation of a new strand.
3. Complementary ____________ will base pair with those of the old strand.
4. After all new nucleotides are added, the old and new strand will form a ____________ strand of DNA.
5. After replication is complete there are ____________ daughter DNA double helices.
6. Each daughter double helix has the same sequence of base pairs as the ____________ double helix had before replication began.
6. Complete the following paragraph to describe the four main observations that make up Darwin’s theory of natural selection.
differential reproductive success
1. Individual organisms within a(n) ____________ exhibit variation. That variation is ____________ and can be passed on from generation to generation.
2. These organisms undergo ____________ for a limited number of available natural resources.
3. These organisms exhibit ____________ , meaning some have traits that better enable them to survive long enough to reproduce.
4. Those that do survive to reproduce pass on their ____________ traits to their offspring.
5. Over time, natural selection enables organisms to develop ____________ to their environment.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more