Carefully listen to the program and/or read the transcript entitled “Is the American Dream Really Dead?” (http://freakonomics.com/podcast/american-dream-really-dead/) and use your own words to write a brief commentary based on the following instructions.
1. Start your commentary with an introduction – a short paragraph which summarizes the main points of the program.
2. Next, you are asked to comment on the following issues more specifically:
(1) What is the American Dream and what is the economics of the American Dream?
(2) What does Prof. Raj Chetty study and why is his research important? Based on his findings, in the US, what percentage of children from the bottom 20 percent income bracket actually make it to the top 20 percent? What are the numbers for other countries? Is it true that “the American Dream” might as well be called “the Canadian Dream”?
(3) What was the “Moving to Opportunity” (MTO) program implemented in the 1990s and what was the main purpose of the program? What did researchers initially conclude from the MTO experiment? And what significantly different results did Chetty find while re-evaluating the MTO data? Do you think the MTO type of program could be effective for the whole country?
(4) According to Chetty, what are the five significant factors which might enhance the probability of achieving the American Dream and how specifically could each factor affect our upward income mobility?
(5) So, do you think the American Dream is still alive? And do you know any person in your life who actually achieved the American Dream?
3. The last paragraph is the conclusion. You should summarize the main points raised in your commentary. Also, be sure to provide your own interpretation or critique of the main issues. Do you generally agree with the program on the main issues? Explain why or why not.
Length of your paper: Minimum 3 pages and maximum 5 pages of text, Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced, with 1-inch margins on all sides.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more