Proposal: Design and Implementation Plan
Each student will prepare a proposal or plan for the needs assessment. Papers are expected to be 5-6 pages in length, excluding the title page, references (minimum of 8 references), and any appendices (optional).
The proposal should respond to the following questions in the order that follows (you are encouraged to include the main headings within your paper):
- Primary Issue of the Needs Assessment
- Define the issue.
- Why is this issue important to social work?What population is primarily affected by the issue? How is this population affected?
- Who else is interested in the problem? Who are the stakeholders? What efforts are currently being made to address the issue?
Include literature addressing previous findings, theoretical assumptions, statistics detailing prevalence and impact of the issue, etc.
- Needs Assessment Plan
- Data collection procedures are limited to interviews.Will you conduct interviews over the phone, via video chat, in person etc.? Please describe your interview plan.
- Include a draft of the list of questions you will use to collect data (ideally each interview will consist of 8-12 questions)
- In addition to the original questions you generate, all students will include the following questions:
- What are challenges experienced by [population]?
- What are the strengths of this group?
- You provide a number of services such as X and Y, are there any additional services this population needs?
- Include one/two questions that will help build rapport at the beginning of the interview
- Include a few demographic questions (e.g., gender, length of employment at agency, role/title of interviewee, educational background).
- Identify potential interview sites.
- Each student should include 3-5 potential interview sites.
- Include a brief description of each agency, and indicate why you believe the agency is a good match.
- Potential contributions of the needs assessment.
- What do you think you will gain from this process?
- What can the agencies you interview and other agencies working on this issue gain from this process?
- Include a work plan that details what you plan to do (list of tasks), and by when (set deadlines).An example is available on Canvas.
- Complete table and include detailed narrative in the paper.
- Include a plan to share the findings with interview sites.
- Include the abstract as part of your paper and also post to discussion board for other classmates to review.
- Write an abstract for the proposal.In the abstract summarize the purpose of the needs assessment, brief overview of the literature review, and include sample questions (not the ones everyone will use). Briefly describe your plan for sharing results with interview sites.
Progress Report Assessment
Write a 2-page paper in which you assess your progress in the needs assessment project. It is recommended you address the following questions:
- What have you gained/learned from this process thus far?
- Have you experienced any challenges? If so, how have you resolved the challenges?
- Do you need additional support? If so, please specify.
PowerPoint Video Presentation of Completed Needs Assessment
Each student will develop a PowerPoint presentation to share their needs assessment with the class.The presentation should last no more than 5-8 minutes. Points will automatically be deducted if the presentation is less than 5 minutes or more than 8 minutes long (10% deduction of final grade for every minute over/under the limit). The presentation should address the following:
- What was the purpose of your needs assessment?
- Briefly describe your data collection process and describe the sample.
- How many interviews did you completed? Who were the participants?
- Include results. What were your key findings for each question?
- Recommendations or plans of action for interventions to address issues discovered during your needs assessment.These should be grounded/informed by your findings.
- How did you/will you share the findings with interview sites?
- Thinking critically, what were key factors that made your needs assessment successful and effective? What key factors hindered the effectiveness of your needs assessment? What steps could be taken in the future to address these hindrances?
- What was the experience like? What did you learn from the experience? What knowledge about community or organizational process did you gain?
I will need to briefly answer the following questions before midnight on Friday, May 22, 2020.
- What is the topic of interest to you? What population of concern in your community is experiencing this issue?
- Why is this issue important?
- What are some human servicing organizations (nonprofit, local government, faith-based, other?) that serve this population in your community? What do you know about the types of services they provide?